Saturday 9 August 2008

Orange Rooms

I like the Orange Rooms.

I have only been here when it is quiet - Sunday evenings, workday afternoons and, recently, workday lunch - so I do not know what it is like when filled with people.

It has a pleasant ambience in decor of orange and brown, but it does feel odd to be inside what is ostensibly a night-time place, during the day. Very little daylight gets in. There are however comfortable retro sofas and arm chairs, as well as benches and tables and tall stools. Myriad choices of seating.

For lunch, I had a steak sandwich. The bread was delicious: soft granary bread with a great crust. The steak inside was tender and juicy, although all sliced up rather than being one slab of steak, so the steak kept falling out while I was eating. I was a little disappointed in the fries, not that they weren't crisp and well-cooked, but because they were fries, which are so much less satisfying than chips. I feel as if I am munching on crunchy, deep-fried air when eating fries.

My fellow diner's meals all looked great: the burgers, especially, were quite generous and seemed to defeat their eaters. The small serve of nachos was actually quite a pretty decent serve. Naturally, I helped my co-diner by sneaking some corn chips from her plate. They were quite bland although the guacamole was good.

I was surprised, when we got our bill, to discover that my full fat coke was complimentary with the meal, as was anyone else's soft drink with their meal. A bonus, making the meal pretty good value.


*****
Orange Rooms

1-2 Vernon Walk
Southampton
SO15 2EJ
023 8023 2333

http://www.orangerooms.co.uk/
Food Menu


No comments: