Sunday 1 July 2007

Kairali, Southampton

This is a fabulous South Indian restaurant in Highfield, near the University of Southampton campus.

I am writing this review some time after we ate there, so please forgive me if it's a bit vague on details.

The restaurant has a pleasant ambience: it is quite small but is plainly and tastefully decorated. On the Tuesday evening that we attended, there were a few other full tables, with laughing university folk, partaking of their meals. Lovely spice smells wafted from the kitchen. I liked the diverse clothes of my fellow diners: some in jeans and t-shirts (me, my co-diner), some in suits and ties (first table), some in even more casual gear than me and my co-diner (table beside us) and one young lady in extremely short denim skirt, frilly top and boots. She looks like she is going to a costume party, and she teeters past me twice, I think to correct her make-up. While we are eating, quite a few folk come in to collect their take-away orders. They are friendly with the staff - another positive sign.

For our meal, with have an okra curry that uses a tomato and coriander base, and (I think) a mixed vegetable curry. Both were excellent and the basmati rice was perfectly done. The flavours are spice-laden, but subtle. There is not too much oil, or butter, or salt. It is one of the better Indian cuisines that I have ever eaten.

This one is a keeper.

******
Kairala
180 Burgess Rd
Southampton,
SO16 3HH
023 80678067

No comments: