Sunday 27 January 2008

The Hare and Hounds, Sway

The Hare and Hounds is one of those rare English pubs: the ones that serve food all day rather than between restrictive hours, strictly enforced. This is a good thing, as I rarely eat lunch at "lunchtime" on weekends.

I have visited the Hare and Hounds on a number of occassions, now. Its food is great, the service is pleasant and jovial, and there are plenty of tables. If you amble in on a busy day, without booking, you will nevertheless find a table in the spacious beer garden, where dogs and children bound about.


The menu is mostly standard (but good!) pub fare, with decent vegetarian choices and a varied specials list, where they usually have very good fish. I have a wee obsession with chips in England, and tend to order whatever meal will best get me a serve of chips. This means I often end up with the fish and chips, or the burger and chips. I also have a weakness for pies, and they often have a special 'home made pie of the day'. My most recent visit, I curiously ordered Moroccan lamb with rice, bypassing pie, and chips as a side. My co-diners ordered the panache of fish (with chips!) and the cheesy fish pie.

My meal was quite nice - rice well done, lamb tender, but as I was eating it, I was wondering why I did not order something that gave me chips, particularly as I was craving a pub meal. I dipped into my co-diner's fish pie, which was great, but left my other co-diner's chips alone, as she was equally, if not more, enamoured of them than me.

We will, undoubtedly, visit again and take our visitors there too.

*****
Hare & Hounds
Durnstown
Sway
Hampshire
SO41 6AL


Get Directions

This address seems rather imprecise to me, so here is a google.maps link.

Tel: 01590 682404





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: