Friday 22 June 2007

The Bridge Patisserie, Winchester

There is a delightful cafe in Winchester: the Bridge Patisserie.

On a gorgeous summer day, laden with groceries from a visit to the Hampshire Farmers' Market, I meander towards this cafe, stopping at Char Tea (and coffee) shop - which has not been open for any of the other Sundays that I have visited Winchester. I buy some jasmine leaf tea, and make a note of all the other wondrous teas that I have to buy. To my delight, the Bridge Patisserie does teas from Char Tea Shop.

There are two rooms to the Bridge Patisserie: the first that I see is a long take-away counter, enticing cakes on the outside window and sandwiches and baguettes inside, bar-stools and posters cover one wall and another wall is painted a deep blue; the second room is high ceilinged and bright, with simple tables and chairs and one delightful red sofa beside a red-floral-patterned-wallpapered wall. Unfortunately, the red sofa is occupied, so we take our seat at a table.

On each table were some origami flowers:-


On all walls there are French theatre prints, looking very art-deco.

I have boring black tea, and my companions have coffee. The coffee is Mozzo; I have had it elsewhere and know it to be excellent. One of my companions has coffee taste similar to mine (black, strong, no sugar) and he approves. My tea is fine, but you'd be hard pressed to do black tea badly. None of us have cake or food; I had a delicious mushroom buttie from Peter Mushrooms at the market, so I am much too full for anything else.

I will be back, however, to sample the cakes and the baguettes.


The Bridge Patisserie
20 Bridge St
Winchester
SO23 9BH
01962 890767

No comments: